These tree words have similar meanings and are used frequently with the following words;
- ALMOST; certainly, all, every, entirely, impossible, empty.
- NEARLY; (numbers), all, always, every, finished, died.
- PRACTICALLY; all, every, no, nothing, impossible, anything.
- She almost/nearly/practically missed her train.
- Nearly all the students have bikes.
- I’ve got practically every CD they’ve made.
* Nearly is the most common with numbers;
- There were nearly 200 people at the meeting.
- We only just got there in time. (or: We almost/nearly/ didn’t get here in time.)
- I’ll eat almost anything.
- She’s hardly ever in. (or: She’s almost never in.)
- The boat looked almost like a toy.
- He was very nearly caught.